Category Archives: NEWS

Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses

Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses

Two same-sex and two opposite-sex couples filed the suit Thursday against Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, who had ceased issuing marriage licenses. Meanwhile, a Tennessee county sees an exodus of officials opposed to marriage equality.

read more

Trudy Ring

www.advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2015/07/02/kentucky-county-clerk-sued-over-denial-marriage-licenses

Ricky Martin also dumps Trump

Ricky Martin also dumps Trump

You can add Ricky Martin to the quickly growing list of those who have dumped Donald Trump.

Martin is outraged by Trump’s comments two weeks ago that immigrants from Mexico are ‘bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists.’

So much so that the openly gay singer is moving the annual Ricky Martin Foundation charity golf event away from Trump’s International Golf Club Rio Grande in Martin’s native Puerto Rico.

A new location has not yet been announced.

Helga García, a spokesperson for Martin, said in a statement: ‘This decision corresponds to the commitment of solidarity from our founding president to human rights and the Latino community.’

Martin had taken to Twitter last week to say he thinks Trump’s heart is filled with ‘hate and ignorance.’

Trump made his controversial remarks when he announced that he is a candidate for the Republican Party’s presidential nomination.

Since then, NBC-Universal has cut business ties with Trump including the airing of his Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants and removing him as the force behind the reality competition The Apprentice.

Macy’s department store chain, which carried a line of Trump menswear, also dumped the real estate mogul.

Trump has refused to apologize for his comments and he has been surging in several national polls of Republican candidates.

The post Ricky Martin also dumps Trump appeared first on Gay Star News.

Greg Hernandez

www.gaystarnews.com/article/ricky-martin-also-dumps-trump/

Oregon Bakery Fined For Refusing To Make Wedding Cake For Lesbian Couple

Oregon Bakery Fined For Refusing To Make Wedding Cake For Lesbian Couple
The owners of an Oregon bakery must pay a $135,000 fine for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple, a state official ruled on Thursday.

Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian agreed with a preliminary ruling that Sweet Cakes by Melissa illegally discriminated against a Portland couple in 2013 by turning down their request based on their sexual orientation, The Oregonian reported.

A judge had ordered owners Aaron and Melissa Klein to pay $75,000 in damages to Rachel Bowman-Crye and another $60,000 to her wife, Laurel Bowman-Cryer.

The Kleins had argued it was against their Christians beliefs to participate in a same-sex marriage. Supporters raised money for them earlier this year after an administrative law judge imposed the penalty.

The Bowman-Cryers, through their attorney Paul Thompson, said in a statement they were glad Avakian sent “a clear message that discrimination will simply not be tolerated in our state.”

“This has been a terrible ordeal for our entire family. We never imagined finding ourselves caught up in a fight for social justice,” they said.

“We endured daily, hateful attacks on social media, received death threats and feared for our family’s safety, yet our goal remained steadfast. We were determined to ensure that this kind of blatant discrimination never happened to another couple, another family, another Oregonian,” the statement continued. “Everyone deserves to be treated as an equal member of society.”

An email to HuffPost, the bakery said the decision was wrong, adding, “Americans should tolerate diverse opinions, not use the government to punish fellow citizens with different views. This case has become a poster for an overpowered elected official using his position to root out thought and speech with which he personally disagrees.”

The owners vowed in a Facebook post to appeal the decision:

“The final ruling has been made today. We have been charged with $135,000 in emotional damages, But also now Aaron has been charged with advertising. (Basically talking about not wanting to participate in a same-sex wedding) This effectively strips us of all our first amendment rights. According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech. We will NOT give up this fight, and we will NOT be silenced. We stand for God’s truth, God’s word and freedom for ALL americans. We are here to obey God not man, and we will not conform to this world. If we were to lose everything it would be totally worth it for our Lord who gave his one and only son, Jesus, for us! God will win this fight.

The Sweet Cakes website features quotations from Biblical passages, such as, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight” from the book of Proverbs. It also explicitly states the bakery is interested in baking for weddings between a man and a woman.

“We here at Sweet Cakes strongly believe that when a man and woman come together to be joined as one, it is truly one of the most special days of their lives,” the homepage said. “We feel truely [sic] honored when we are chosen to do the cake for your special day.”

— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

feeds.huffingtonpost.com/c/35496/f/677065/s/47cb3507/sc/7/l/0L0Shuffingtonpost0N0C20A150C0A70C0A20Csweet0Ecakes0Eby0Emelissa0Efined0Esame0Esex0Ewedding0In0I7718540A0Bhtml0Dutm0Ihp0Iref0Fgay0Evoices0Gir0FGay0KVoices/story01.htm

Girl Scouts troop returns $100,000 from transphobic donor and raises three times as much

Girl Scouts troop returns $100,000 from transphobic donor and raises three times as much

The Girl Scouts of Western Washington were initially thrilled when they received a $100,000 pledge – enough to send 500 girls to camp.

But it turns out the money came with strings attached.

Chief Executive Officer Megan Ferland received a letter from the donor which read: ‘Please guarantee that our gift will not be used to support transgender girls. If you can’t, please return the money.’

Ferland will not reveal the identity of the donor but she knew this was money the group could not keep.

‘Girl Scouts is for every girl,’ Ferland tells Seattle Met. ‘And every girl should have the opportunity to be a Girl Scout if she wants to.’

To make up for the $100,000 they turned away, the group launched an IndieGoGo crowdfunding effort this week and in the first three days, the campaign has raised more than $307,000 with donations coming from 6,480 people.

In a video on the crowdfunding page, the group states: ‘Girl Scouts empowers EVERY girl regardless of her gender identity, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, to make the world a better place.’

With what has been raised so far, the group has raised enough money for 1,500 girls to join their troop and to be able to go to camp. Each additional $50,000 raised supports 250 more girls.

‘We are incredibly humbled and thrilled to see so many people from across the globe support this campaign,’ the group states.

The post Girl Scouts troop returns $100,000 from transphobic donor and raises three times as much appeared first on Gay Star News.

Greg Hernandez

www.gaystarnews.com/article/girl-scouts-troop-returns-100000-from-transphobic-donor-and-raises-three-times-as-much/

News: Jim Webb, Donald Trump, California’s ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill, Disney Princes

News: Jim Webb, Donald Trump, California’s ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill, Disney Princes

CI8ZNfnUMAAFpbF> US demands extradition of 7 FIFA officials as part of its sweeping probe on corruption at the organization.

> Matt Damon has a ponytail now.

> Former Virginia Senator Jim Webb announces he will be running for the Democratic Party’s nomination for President. 

> Tom Cruise rumored to be leaving Scientology.

batman-vs-superman-01> 7 simple tips for a successful Christian marriage according to the Bible. 

> Hillary Clinton’s emails signal that she fought for LGBT rights behind the scenes before her famous 2011 “Gay rights are human rights” speech. 

> Joy is dead. Meet the bubble wrap that doesn’t pop. 

> First look at Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

> NYC reviewing its contracts with Donald Trump. Serta cancels its partnership with the GOP hopeful. Ricky Martin pulls his charity event from a Trump golf course. And America Ferrera thanks Trump.

> Marisa Tomei is coming to Empire season 2.

> Ranking churches based on their acceptance of homosexuality.

> That time when Nixon was drunk during the middle of the Arab-Israeli war.

CI8l4CFUsAAGwpz> US Navy to hold first west coast LGBT Pride event. 

> California Attorney General Kamala Harris shoots down proposed “Kill the Gays” bill once again. 

> Rihanna slays in new music video, “B*tch Better Have My Money.”

> If Disney princes were Magic Mike strippers.

The post News: Jim Webb, Donald Trump, California’s ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill, Disney Princes appeared first on Towleroad.


Sean Mandell

News: Jim Webb, Donald Trump, California’s ‘Kill the Gays’ Bill, Disney Princes

Bobby Jindal Gives Up Last Stand Against Gay Marriage Licenses In Louisiana

Bobby Jindal Gives Up Last Stand Against Gay Marriage Licenses In Louisiana
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) has been relentlessly resisting the Supreme Court’s historic decision that made same-sex marriage legal in every state. On Thursday, the federal trial court in New Orleans released a ruling that ended Jindal’s nearly weeklong effort to hold out.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman officially struck down the state’s same-sex marriage ban and directed all state agencies in Louisiana to recognize gay marriage, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports. Jindal’s administration finally relented and agreed to abide by the ruling.

While most of the remaining states with gay marriage bans immediately began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples last Friday, the day of the Supreme Court ruling, state officials in Louisiana looked for ways to postpone the inevitable.

Jindal himself took a particularly extreme stance. Last Friday, the 2016 presidential hopeful denounced the Supreme Court and suggested it would be better to just disband the nation’s highest court.

“The Supreme Court is completely out of control, making laws on their own, and has become a public opinion poll instead of a judicial body,” Jindal said. “If we want to save some money, let’s just get rid of the court.”

Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell (R) meanwhile said that because the Supreme Court’s June 26 ruling did not directly order states to begin issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, “there is not yet a legal requirement for officials to issue marriage licenses or perform marriages for same-sex couples in Louisiana.” Local court clerks were instructed to hold off for 25 days. Clerks across Louisiana issued licenses anyway, except in New Orleans. In the state’s largest city, a state agency, which reports to Jindal, has control over marriage licenses.

Jindal argued that he wanted to wait until a lower court applied the Supreme Court’s decision to Louisiana. On Wednesday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit formally overturned Louisiana’s gay marriage ban, seemingly giving Jindal the go-ahead.

But the governor persisted in his stall, releasing a statement indicating that he would wait for a ruling from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. When that court said this means you on Thursday, Jindal had no choice but to give up his resistance.

— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

feeds.huffingtonpost.com/c/35496/f/677065/s/47cabac4/sc/7/l/0L0Shuffingtonpost0N0C20A150C0A70C0A20Cbobby0Ejindal0Emarriage0Eequality0In0I77180A880Bhtml0Dutm0Ihp0Iref0Fgay0Evoices0Gir0FGay0KVoices/story01.htm

Hood County, Texas Still Not Issuing Same-Sex Marriage Licenses as Anti-Gay Hate Spikes – VIDEO

Hood County, Texas Still Not Issuing Same-Sex Marriage Licenses as Anti-Gay Hate Spikes – VIDEO

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 4.49.05 PM

Earlier this week, we told you how Katie Lang, the clerk of Hood County, Texas, said she would finally begin issuing same-sex marriage licenses after previously attempting to claim a religious exemption.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 5.46.55 PMAs it turns out, Lang (right) still has not done so, and she says it may take weeks before the county can update the necessary forms.

On Thursday, Texas Values President Jonathan Saenz (above), whose ex-wife left him for a woman, organized an anti-gay hate rally outside the Hood County Courthouse. Based on photos from the rally, attendance was rather underwhelming. Meanwhile, a gay couple of 27 years who’ve been trying to obtain a marriage license in Hood County told reporters they plan to file a lawsuit next week if they don’t receive one before then.

The Star-Telegram of Fort Worth reports:

Jim Cato and Joe Stapleton just want to get married.

But the two men haven’t been able to get a license from the Hood County Clerk’s office despite asking nearly every day since last week’s Supreme Court ruling legalized their pending union. …

On one side of the courthouse, Cato and Stapleton told the crowd that their attorney is sending a letter to Lang …

On the other side of the courthouse, dozens of people gathered to show their support for Lang and for religious freedom.

Lang didn’t attend the rally, and Saenz claims it was out of concern for her safety. Saenz later issued this statement:

“On the eve of our Independence Day, the Texas and American values of religious freedom and personal liberty are just as important now and as they ever have been. We will not stand by and watch as LGBT radicals try to destroy the guarantees of the First Amendment of our Constitution and ruin the personal lives of Texans who support marriage between one man and one woman. We will not be silent. We will proudly rise up with the timeless colors of red, white and blue as our backdrop, for God and country.”

More from The Dallas Morning News:

As a result, two attorneys from Austin are on their way to Granbury at this very moment. They want just one thing: for the clerk’s office to issue a marriage license for their clients, Jim Cato and Joe Stapleton, who have been waiting to marry for 27 years. If they do not get one, says attorney Jan Soifer, she and attorney Austin Kaplan will sue the Hood County Clerk’s office first thing Monday morning.

“After [Lang] changed her tune Tuesday, my clients gave her a day and waited till this morning to get their license,” says Soifer. “They said, ‘No, no, no, it will take three weeks.’ They said, ‘We’re not ready to do it, we don’t have the forms ready.’ We sent them the link to the website with the form they are supposed to use. It’s posted. It’s available to them. We know 205 other counties in Texas have already been issuing them.”

Also this week, WFAA-TV reported that Hood County residents are attempting to get the LGBT-themed children’s books “My Princess Boy” and “This Day in June” removed from the public library in Granbury, the county seat.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 5.21.22 PMLibrary Director Courtney Kincaid (right) is defending the books, and the board voted to keep them, but more than 50 residents have signed “challenge forms” after a parent raised concerns and took them to City Councilwoman Rose Myers, who has since posted a longer statement about the issue on Facebook. Now, the Hood County Commission is set to consider the issue later this month.

From WFAA:

The challenge forms are filled with comments questioning why the books are in the children’s section. Other submitters indicate the books should be banned outright because they promote “perversion” and the “gay lifestyle.”

Granbury City Council member Rose Myers said she was approached by a constituent a few weeks ago that raised concerns about the placement of the books.

She said in a statement provided to News 8:

“My decision to sign a protest regarding the book My Princess Boy was clearly based on the fact that if the library would not move the books and keep them in an appropriate location, then they should be removed […] Can a four year old understand the content of this book without the help of an adult? In my opinion, No!”

John Wright

Hood County, Texas Still Not Issuing Same-Sex Marriage Licenses as Anti-Gay Hate Spikes – VIDEO